Our Thoughts On Pioneer XPRS12
Products Reviewed on This Page – Click to go
In this review of the Pioneer XPRS12 we are going to covering 5 important areas which include key features, what we like, pros and cons, who is this product best suited to and what customers who have bought the speaker are saying about it.
Ready? Let’s get started with this speakers key specfications:
Speaker Size: 12″ – Watts RMS: 1200 – Watts Peak: 2400 –Dimensions 28.8″ x 18.8″ x 18.1″ – Weight: 59.7 lbs
- Natural, Full-Range Sound – You can connect the microphone and other devices at the same time through the 2 balanced XLR/TRS combo sockets and an unbalanced RCA connection.
The other devices that may be connected include portable audio players or line-level mixers. With the sockets, you can connect other speakers easily through the outputs, and the drivers will produce a natural sound even at high volume levels without distortion.
- Powersoft Class D Amps – This Pioneer XPRS12 utilizes Powersoft Class D amp modules to give a reliable and high-powered performance producing a peak output power of 2400W or 1200W continuous output, similar to what is obtainable on larger speaker amplifiers.
Power Consumption is reduced by the Power Factor Correction (PFC) in the amps to ensure constant performance at all times.
It is equipped with an auto-ranging power supply feature, which allows the device to be used at any location with temporary or permanent power supplies while still delivering the same quality of sound.
- AFAST Acoustic Tube – Muffling is eliminated by the AFAST Acoustic tube through the absorption of standing waves in the speaker’s enclosure, to increase the low-to-mid frequency response of the device.
- Equalizer Modes – With the rotary selector switch located on the back of the speaker, you can adapt to different environments and genres, using the 4 Equalizer modes such as Flat, Speech, Bass +, and Wedge.
Flat: This mode gives a neutral audio production.
Speech: With this equalizer mode, clear sound is obtained for speeches and seminars.
Bass +: Speaker sound is amplified with this mode and used for music events and concerts.
Wedge: A well-balanced sound is obtained by reducing the low frequencies when the speaker is used as a floor monitor.
- Advanced Protection – The power supply, amplifier, and speaker of the Pioneer XPRS12 are protected by certain features in the amplifier module thereby releasing a constant sound of high-quality, and extending the working period of your sound device.
Amplifier Protection – The amplifier is protected from damage by the thermal limiting feature which is cut-off to prevent overheating. In the event of output overcurrent, the speaker’s output is reduced to safe levels.
Speaker Protection – If the speaker eventually blows, the DC offset removal feature will shut down to avoid further damage to the unit. This active speaker is also protected from loud bursts such as feedback by the stationary high frequency protection. There is an input voltage limiter which protects the device when the input voltage reaches its peak and RMS value. Also, the LF and compression drivers are separately cut-off by the output voltage limiter when either of them reaches its peak.
Power Protection – There are 3 settings on the front panel of the speaker cabinet; “power”, “limiter”, and “off.” Each of these settings has a status LED to indicate which of them is used. These settings can help protect your speaker against power surges using the AC mains overvoltage protection.
What We Like
- Multiple Inputs and Outputs – The Class-D amplifier can produce up to 1200W continuous output. This speaker also has two balanced XLR/TRS Combo socket input and an unbalanced RCA connection, to connect microphone and other devices such as portable audio player, and line-level mixers at the same time.
The different buttons embedded on the back panel of this sound system give varieties of connectivity options, and there is an equalizer that allows you to select them with regards to the environment. You can select each input either individually or through the Master Controls.
- Natural Full-range Sound – When we listened to the demo tracks contained in the genre of this instrument, we liked its performance and sound, because the crisp sounds were high with a warm bass. The loudspeaker can be easily set up on stage or mounted on a wall with the pole mount, and its 4 equalizer mode buttons on the back of the speaker can be used to select or adjust the sound for a unique and perfect output.
You also have the freedom of mounting the speaker any way you want it, either horizontally or vertically, thanks to its rotatable horns with 90 degree turns. The full range, clear, and natural sound offered by this device is second to none.
- Advanced Protection Features – There are several features meant to safely guard the amp, driver, and power supply to prolong the usage of your speaker.
- The thermal limiting feature cut-off to prevent overheating and protect the amplifier.
- If output overcurrent occurs, the speaker’s output is reduced to safe levels.
- In case the speaker blows, the DC offset removal feature will shut down to prevent further damage to the device.
- The speaker is protected from loud bursts by the Stationary High Frequency Protection feature of the speaker.
- The voltage limiter cut-off the compression drivers and the LF separately, when their peak is reached.
- This device is protected against power surges by the AC-mains overvoltage protection.
There are certain things which we like about the Pioneer XPRS12, they include:
Who Is This Speaker Best Suited To
This 12-inches, 2-way, full-range sound system is well suited for:
Artists during live performances: during live performances, this system can thrill the audience with its high-quality and clear sound, produced without distortions even at high volume levels. The Bass + equalizer or Wedge mode, can best be selected for this. The Bass + mode amplifies the sound to fill the auditorium, while the Wedge gives a well-balanced sound at low frequencies when the speaker is used as a floor monitor.
House of worship: in the house of worship, the speech equalizer mode is activated to give a clear voice sound for speeches.
Club Owners/Operators: owners and operators of clubs cannot be wrong for choosing this active speaker, because with the 4 equalizer modes, you will certainly get what you want from it.
Vocal Engagements: this speaker is useful when a high-quality sound boost is needed. It is also suitable for occasions where it is to be used as a public address system. With the flat equalizer mode, this can be achieved.
Mobile DJs: this is a DJ’s favorite as it can produce a peak output power of 2400W or 1200W of continuous output, and it is portable for gigs. With its flexible connectivity options, you can connect a microphone, audio player, and a line-level mixer.
Touring: it is also suitable for touring or anywhere a portable sound system producing a clear, high-quality audio is needed.
Shop For This Speaker On Our Recommended Retailer
What Customers Are Saying
“I first noticed this speaker during an exhibition in 2017, so as a DJ, I decided to purchase one. This active PA speaker is compact and portable, and I didn’t have to set it up since it offers a direct plug-and-play use without any form of tangled cables.”
“It is energy-efficient, reliable, and produces a very clear sound without distortions. I wanted a loudspeaker that I can carry along for most of my performance, which can also allow me to select and adjust the sound to suit my need and that of my audience. I must say that this device has done it all with the 4 equalizer modes which I can use depending on the environment.”
“The speech equalizer mode gives a very clear sound when used as a PA system.”
“The Bass + equalizer mode is superb, releasing a powerful sound of up to 1200W of continuous output and 2400W of peak output.”
“At first when I saw it, I thought it came in pairs, only for me to realize that it is sold as a single speaker for the price of two. But there was nothing I could do, since I needed it so much, I had to make the purchase.”
“The only downside is that it is bulky, heavy, and expensive.”
The Bottom Line
This Pioneer XPRS12 gained creditably when tested on different music genre.
There are several connectivity options and important controls embedded on the rear of the instrument, and you can use features such as the Equalizer to adjust your sound.
The advance protection features and limiters are good innovations to protect the amplifier and speaker. With the well-fixed handles, it can be easily transported to and from gigs, and it is long-lasting due to the birch plywood cabinet it is enclosed in. Though, it is the best active speaker anybody could think of, but it is heavy.
All in all, professional mobile DJs prefer it to other loudspeakers because of what it can offer.