How to set up a DJ Mixer
If you are aiming to be a DJ and conquer those parties with your beats and original mix tracks, then having a DJ mixer will definitely help you reach that goal. DJ mixers, from the word itself, basically allow you to mix songs, tracks, and other music into your own version of a song. They are the most important and useful musical equipment in a dance party. A DJ will not be legitimate without a mixer. In short, mixers are the identification of a DJ, without it, they are just regular dudes trying to a host a party. Therefore, if you are going to be a DJ, then you definitely must have a DJ mixer with you. However, if you are not familiar with a DJ mixer, then worry not, as this article will be able to help you take that first step into your DJ career.
The very first thing you need to do is to learn how to set up a DJ mixer. You don’t want to embarrass yourself in front of a crowd by claiming that you are a DJ and know how to mix yet can’t set up the equipment, right? While, it is basically, just plug and switch, it is very important that you know what and where to plug to prevent unnecessary hassles and possibly accidents.
The first step is to identify the things that you will need.
• A DJ mixer – With lots of brands and high-quality mixers to choose from, if you are a beginner, then you can start at the basic entry level. Mostly two-channel mixers are the most recommended.
• RCA cables and adapters – These are cables for your audio so it is also a good idea to bring adapters to prepare for speakers or if your mixers only have ¼ inch audio plugs or any other kind. Remember that, preparation is key to a successful start.
• Headset – You would want and need to listen to your tracks as a DJ, you can do that with the help of high-quality headphones.
• Speakers – The speakers are the last stop of your mix before it gets delivered to your audience, so be sure that it is optimized to produce the best sound possible.
• Laptop or mp3 player – These are your music sources and your playlist.
After checking these things, it is now time to set-up the DJ mixer.
1. Connect the cables – Connect the speakers to the DJ mixer and be sure that you plug the audio jacks into their corresponding holes. Be wary of the input and output. Match the colors, they are there to guide you. Take note that if the sound is unstable, or only one speaker is working, then you probably have messed up somewhere in the switching and plugging. Connect the headset to the mixer, adjust the volume accordingly.
2. Turn On all the equipment – plug in the power jack. Turn on the laptop or mp3 player and connect them to the mixer. Turn on the speakers. Choose the songs – mix them, add effects, adjust volumes, hype the crowd and get the party going!