The 10 Best Powered PA Speakers (Review & Comparison) Of 2020: The Ultimate Review
How do you know how good your music sounds if you can’t hear it? Speakers are critical to a DJ’s success as nobody can hear your groundbreaking tunes without them! In fact, it is so important that a DJ has great speakers that we have put together this list of reviews on The 10 Best Powered PA speakers of 2020.
Our experts set out on a mission to put together a comprehensive list of the best powered PA speakers available to buy online so we could then review them for you. This post will help you in choosing one of the most important parts of your DJ setup. These reviews highlight unique features and the nitty gritty details of each speaker so that you can easily decide what is best to purchase.
Don’t have time to read the whole post? Check out the 3 must see speakers compared below.
The Products We Reviewed – Click to go
3 Powered Speakers You Must See – Our Winning Picks
The Best Powered PA Speakers
1. Proreck Party 15 (#1 Top DJ Speaker)
Speaker Size: 15″ – Watts RMS: 200 – Watts Peak: 2000 – Dimensions: 30″ x 19″ x 29″ – Weight: 81.6 lbs
The Proreck Party 15 offers 2,000 powerful watts along with several accessories that many other models on our list do not offer. With 9 total pieces of equipment, you can enjoy an active and passive speaker, mic, wireless remote control, speaker cable, power cable, mic cable, and speaker stands. Basically, everything that you need in one package for a great price, making this one of the all round best DJ speakers on the market today.
2. Rockville RPG122K (#1 Best Value DJ Speaker)
Speaker Size: 12″ – Watts RMS: 250 – Watts Peak: 1000 – Dimensions: 17″ x 15.5″ x 48″ – Weight: 62.8 lbs
If you are looking for a powerful and professional speaker system, you have found the perfect piece of equipment in the Rockville RPG122K model. Offering 1000 watts, 250 watts RMS, and 500 watts of program power, this speaker can keep up with the demands that you push it to meet. The bluetooth technology component allows for convenience and ease of use, making the setup of this speaker a seamless and stress-free experience.
3. Mackie Thump15A (#1 Premium Pick DJ Speaker)
Speaker Size: 15″ – Watts RMS: 650 – Watts Peak: 1300 – Dimensions: 14″ x 17.4″ x 27″ – Weight: 40 lbs
The Mackie Thump15A is only 33 pounds but it produces chest-thumping sound like you would not believe! Offering 1000 watts of power, this speaker is phenomenal for parties, wedding receptions, church ceremonies, or acoustic shows. Another great perk to this speaker system is that the class D amps run cool even when pushed to their limit. No longer will you need to worry about your speakers shutting down in a hot venue or when performing outdoors. Mackie make some of the top DJ speakers on the market and they have hit it out of the park with the Thump15A.
4. Pyle PSUFM1035A
Speaker Size: 10″ – Watts RMS: 500 – Watts Peak: 1000 – Dimensions: 15.8″ x 14″ x 37.2″ – Weight: 51 lbs
If you are looking for party speakers for home use, the Pyle PSUFM1035A model will not disappoint. Offering 1,000 watts, a dual 10” woofer, and two 3” Piezo tweeters, this passive speaker is perfect for livening up a backyard pool party or hosting a garden wedding. Complete with DJ lights, a USB charging port, RCA stereo input and output capability, the opportunities are endless.
5. Pyle PPHP1537UB
Speaker Size: 15″ – Watts RMS: 600 – Watts Peak: 1200 – Dimensions: 29.3″ x 15.8″ x 19.5″ – Weight: 43 lbs
The Pyle PPHP1537UB speaker offers a generous 1200 watts of superior sound quality. With bluetooth technology included, you can easily connect the speaker to your iPhone, MP3 player, laptop, or tablet to play music. Having the ability to connect via bluetooth also opens up your ability to utilize a vast array of songs housed on Spotify or Pandora.
6. Behringer EUROLIVE B112W
Speaker Size: 12″ – Watts Peak: 1000 – Dimensions: 10.6″ x 13.5″ x 22.4″ – Weight: 27.6 lbs
Behringer is a brand that is well known in the professional music industry for creating outstanding products that are chock full of the latest developments in sound audio technology. The Behringer Eurolive B112W speaker offers great versatility, bluetooth compatibility and can be used for karaoke, DJing, or live performances.
7. Pyle PPHP103MU
Speaker Size: 10″ – Watts Peak: 800 – Dimensions: 14.1″ x 11.4″ x 21.2″ – Weight: 21.74 lbs
Another great speaker, the Pyle PRO PPHP103MU is a great two-way PA speaker that offers 600 watts of power and the ability to play your MP3s on it! There is a 10” woofer and a 1” titanium diaphragm compression driver. The audio spectrum that is covered is 45Hz to 20 kHZ. The inputs included on this model are the XLR, ¼”, and RCA.
8. Behringer EUROLIVE B112D
Speaker Size: 12″ – Watts Peak: 1000 – Dimensions: 10.6″ x 13.5″ x 22.4″ – Weight: 27.1 lbs
The Behringer Eurolive B112D Wireless loudspeaker is a standalone, active two-way PA speaker system with an integrated 2-channel mixer. This performance grade Speaker has been developed with portability in mind. Weighing only 32 lbs./14.5 kg. it is built with DJs and live performers in mind. The speaker is compact and lightweight, and it packs and acoustic punch.
9. Behringer EUROLIVE B210D
Speaker Size: 10″ – Watts Peak: 200 – Dimensions: 9.6″ x 11.5″ x 18.4″ – Weight: 19.8 lbs
There are many speakers to choose from, but Behringer makes the best for the money. Created and designed by the most talented sound audio engineers in the industry, Behringer products are made in Germany. When you buy the Behringer Eurolive B210D speaker, you can count on your investment lasting you a long time.
10. Proreck FREEDOM 15
Speaker Size: 15″ – Watts RMS: 100 – Watts Peak: 800 – Dimensions: 31″ x 20″ x 16″ – Weight: 41 lbs
Proreck is well known for creating a variety of high quality equipment at an affordable price point. The Proreck FREEDOM 15 is a favorite amongst professionals and novices alike.
The Proreck Freedom line offers a diversified music player with easy mobility and high quality sound. When you buy Proreck sound audio equipment, you can count on quality, great customer service, and superior performance.
How We Chose Which Speakers To Review
Our team has spent a great deal of time researching brands, manufacturer’s values, and sales procedures, as well as the newest models of well known products in this category. We are passionate about music and helping you perform at the highest ability. We have laid out what we believe to be the best powered DJ speakers on the market at the time of article release. New products are hitting the shelves all the time, but for 2020, based on consumer feedback, professional feedback, features, price point, durability, and product quality, the items highlighted in this guide have risen to the top consistently in our rating of speakers.
When it comes to selecting an active set of PA speakers, it is essential to do your research so that you can ensure that you are investing in equipment that will not only meet your needs now but also as you continue to take your career to the next level. That is why our team of experts has dedicated the time to put together a comprehensive list of powered PA speakers. You will find a variety of information within our guide including but not limited to features such as the mixer and amplifier quality as well as warranty information. In addition, you will learn about the pros and cons of using an all-in-one active PA system that can be convenient for those who travel often and need to transport equipment on their own. To better understand the parameters in which our experts judged each speaker set by, we will explain them in greater detail in this article.
To include options for all types of talent level, we have highlighted speakers in a wide variety of price ranges. You will notice that some top DJ speakers are inexpensive and are perfect for beginners. Other top DJ speakers offer a plethora of features however it is imperative to pay close attention to the item description. Some DJ speakers are sold individually so while you see a great price with an abundance of features, you may have to purchase additional items to make your system perform the way you want. Some listings are higher in price, however, come with everything you need to have a fantastic DJ gig.
Our team looked at reviews of the products; both from consumers and those in the music business. We have been transparent and honest in this guide about our findings and where possible have mentioned if there are manufacturer warranties or outstanding customer service provided by a specific brand. The four main areas we look at when choosing the best powered pa speakers for this review are:
- Product quality. When you set out to purchase anything, you are often looking for the product that has a reputation for being able to withstand the test of time. High quality products are known to perform better than their competitors while remaining highly functional for an extended period. Many will choose to spend more money on a product just because of the name brand or the reputation that it has for being a product that is made with quality parts and will be a good investment. Our experts have considered the level of quality in manufacturing when it comes to rating the powered PA speakers that feature in our guide.
- Performance quality. It is imperative that the set of DJ speakers you ultimately purchase will be able to perform at the quality level that you are expecting. The quality level should exceed your expectations. Our experts have been able to identify the perks and potential growth areas for each PA speaker system listed in our guide. This information will serve as a critical component to helping you determine the best speaker set that you can afford.
- Value for money. Another consideration that our experts made when researching a plethora of PA speaker packages is the value of the equipment that you will receive. Some products may boast a number of features, but their price tag outweighs their ability to perform. Our experts have taken the time to conduct research and determine the PA speaker systems that can offer the most value for your money.
- Manufacturers warranty. Finally, a guide would not be complete without information on customer service, consumer feedback, or vital components to warranty details from the manufacturer. This guide will help you determine which powered PA speaker systems are backed by the manufacturers by a warranty or a satisfaction guarantee, a crucial piece of information to take into consideration when making your investment.
Lastly, when conducting our research, we took into consideration that those reading this guide would be from all walks of life. We realize that not everyone will be looking at these products to use for a DJ gig. Some may be looking at these DJ speakers for use at home or church, or even in the workplace. We have highlighted in this guide the type of environment each item is best suited.
While we have spent a great deal of time researching the products in our list, this guide should be used to help you decide on what DJ speakers will work best for you. The qualities we have featured in our guide are the opinions of our team of experts who are passionate about music.
8 Tips For Choosing The Right DJ Speakers For You
Speakers are imperative to one’s success when working as a DJ or musician. In order for your target market to be able to hear your music, you will need to provide ample equipment to do so. The best way to project your tunes to the public is via a good speaker system. The first thing that you need to do when shopping for a speaker system determines the type that will work best for your needs. If you are planning to DJ at a small venue or in a school cafeteria, you will find that selecting a high-quality PA speaker system will work best. But how does one determine which PA speaker system is best for their needs? There are a few things to keep in mind to make sure you don’t make any of the common mistakes. Here are a few tips:
- Budget. Before you commit to a set of powered DJ speakers, it is essential to take into consideration how much money you have to spend on them. While you may have set aside a substantial amount of money to buy your powered DJ speakers, you will also need to take into consideration other items that you may also need for your DJ setup. Will you have enough money in the budget for the additional things that you need as well? If not, consider decreasing your speaker budget to make room for other necessary items.
- Consider your current equipment. The best way to save money on your PA speaker system is to make sure that they are compatible with your existing gear. It would not make much sense to purchase new PA speakers only to then find out that they don’t work with your current equipment. This would mean that you would either have to invest in new equipment or take your PA speakers back for a refund. Save yourself the trouble and the hassle and determine if you have equipment that will work best with passive or active DJ speakers.
- Consider what you will be using the equipment for. If you are planning to use your DJ speakers in your house, you most likely do not need to purchase a professional series model such as the Mackie Thump15. Perhaps the Rockville RSG12 would work best. If you are however looking to play at a club and need superb sound quality and the ability to chest-thump the crowd, the Mackie could do the trick!
- The location that you will be using the speakers. Another consideration to think about is where you will be using your PA speakers. Where are you planning to DJ? Do you expect to market your services towards local organizations, church groups, and schools or will you be playing in larger venues like local nightclubs? When you purchase a set of PA speakers, it will be essential to think about the venue so that you can buy the best DJ speakers that fit the space you will be DJing in.
- Will you be transporting the equipment? If so, how should you transport it? It is important to think through the logistics of how you will use your new gear. If you are a new DJ and plan to travel from gig to gig over a short period all by yourself, you may want to consider something that is lightweight and easy to manage. You may also want to find a speaker system with USB and Bluetooth capability so that you do not have to transport as many CDs or other items with you. If you are traveling with a team of people, the weight, size, and amount of things should not be a worry. There are many great sets that we mention in this guide that are perfect for groups of musicians playing together. Perhaps the ProReck Party 15 is ideal for those of you who are looking to begin hosting parties at schools or churches.
- How long are you planning to keep the equipment before replacing it with something new? If you are looking to keep your DJ speakers for as long as possible, you will want to explore the construction and materials used to create each item. You will want to ensure that the durability is top notch and that the speaker was constructed using heavy duty materials. If you plan to invest in additional speakers sooner rather than later, this consideration is not as important, but it is still recommended that you pay attention to the way in which the item was built. Even if you are planning to purchase the newest model next year, you may want to keep this set as a backup or give it to a friend.
- Future goals. It is a good idea to keep in mind your future career goals when you set out to purchase any gear for your DJ setup. The reason for this is that you will want to try to use the equipment you are buying for as long as you can into your DJing career. This can help you avoid purchasing equipment over and over again, hence spending money that you don’t necessarily need to spend.
- Other considerations. When you purchase PA speakers, you can do so in various forms. You can buy a system that includes everything that you need in an all in one system, or you can purchase pieces individually. When you buy a PA speaker system, you will need to make sure that you invest in a stand for the speakers. It is also important to purchase a subwoofer or amplifier. When you are buying an all in one system, everything will be included.
Powered Vs Non-Powered Speakers
Being a good DJ takes more than a decent level of skill when it comes to mixing and playing the latest tracks. As a DJ you will also be required to set up equipment that will work in various locations. The gear that you will need to play at a small dance at your church will be drastically different than the gear that will be required if you were to play at a club in Cancun on Spring Break. To be able to choose the right equipment, you will have to understand how the stuff works. This article will explain in detail what the difference is between powered PA speakers and Non-powered speakers. It is important to note that there are different types of powered speakers and knowing the difference between the two is vital to your success.
What Do Powered Speakers Include
Powered speakers, also known as active speakers, include the power amplifier and crossover in the same cabinet as the speaker mechanism. The main perk in purchasing powered PA speakers is that you will only need to plug in a mixer, music player, or instrument to start entertaining your audience. When you buy a powered PA system, you are simplifying the process a great deal. Powered PA speakers are much easier to set up and transport. While there are many great perks to owning a powered PA speaker system, there are setbacks as well such as their inability to perform well in large venues. The main reason for this is that active PA DJ speakers cannot be installed in a large place like passive speakers can be which is a critical component when playing in larger venues.
Non-powered PA speakers, also known as passive PA speakers, do not include the amplifier and crossover within the same cabinet. This type of system can come in handy if you want to play in a venue that is quite large. When you are using passive PA speakers in your setup, you will need additional equipment such as a mixer or music player, amplifier, and possibly a subwoofer. While it may sound inconvenient to have to transport additional equipment with you to your gig, there are many significant advantages to the sound quality. There are also other benefits to having your equipment components separated. One of the most important reasons to have your equipment separate is to avoid your speakers from becoming overheated by amps when you are playing in a large venue. Besides, maintaining your system is much easier when your equipment components are separate.
The main thing to remember when deciding between active or passive speakers is the type of venue that you will be playing in will make all the difference. If you are going to be playing in a large auditorium, it is in your best interest to go with a passive PA system as the separate components will work better together for this purpose. You won’t have to worry about blowing your speakers due to too much power running to them. On the other hand, if you are going to be gigging with bands or DJing in smaller venues, an active PA speaker system will be convenient and great for your needs.
4 Popular Types Of Speakers Used By DJ’s
The sound is the most important consideration that a DJ needs to make when preparing their setup. After all, without sound, nobody would be able to hear the DJ spin great beats. Sound quality is imperative to the success of a DJ which is why it is critical to choose the right type of DJ speakers for your setup. This article will highlight the most popular kinds of speakers used by DJ’s today.
- Powered PA speakers – Choosing between active, or powered PA speakers in comparison to passive PA speakers is simply a decision based on personal preference. While passive speakers may offer you more flexibility In terms of equipment, they take a great deal of time and attention to detail to put together with your system. Because of this, most DJs prefer to employ the use of powered PA speakers. The reason for this is that powered PA DJ speakers are fantastic for new and experienced DJ’s alike. They are portable, provide an abundance of sound that makes them perfect for large crowds, and can be used in a variety of venues.
- Passive PA speakers – Some DJ’s prefer to use passive PA Speakers.
- Portable PA speakers – Some DJ’s prefer to use portable PA Speakers.
- Studio monitor speakers – You may have heard fellow DJs talk about using studio monitor speakers. Before you go out and buy a set, it is important to note how they differ from other DJ speakers on the market. Unlike other speakers, studio monitor speakers are best used in smaller venues such as a room or in a studio, as the name indicates. These speakers are designed to provide playback at low or medium volumes and do not perform well when put in a position where they need to project sound at high volumes for an extended period.
The Bottom Line
We take great pride in our DJ equipment guides, and we have a lot of fun putting them together for you. Each rendition is packed full of our honest and transparent opinions about real products that are on the market today. The best powered PA speakers highlighted in this guide are our recommendations as we have scoured the market and checked out so many that we believe the top 10 are indeed the best of the best. Whether you are a new DJ, professional musician, or just a music lover interested in playing music in the comfort of your own home, we have the top DJ speakers for you!